Some characteristics of this personality type:
Careers that are popular for this personality type:
Personality Traits are patterns of habits of behaviours.
Personality traits come from:
- Physical factors
- Environment (home, work)
- Social situations
Personality traits make it more likely that you will behave certain ways in certain situations.. You can behave differently than how your personality would tend to cause you to react. It is a matter of engaging in a self-aware process.
Some examples of personality traits are:
What words would you use to describe your personality? Try to think of at least four words to describe yourself to share with the group.
Behaviour determines job performance. Since personality determines behaviour, your personality will impact your job performance.
Employers want to match people with the personality traits they are looking for, to the appropriate jobs.
VALUES, BIASES, AND ASSUMPTIONS (VBAs)
Values, Biases and Assumptions, or VBAs, is one way of reviewing our thoughts, beliefs and attitudes regarding different things. This is perhaps one of the most complex parts of self-awareness, but also one of the most powerful.
- What we consider most important in our lives and the world (Values)
- What we like or dislike in our lives and world, and why (Biases)
- What we believe about our lives, the lives of others and other things in the world (Assumptions)
Some values include:
Some biases include:
- Preferring tea to coffee
- Preferring the countryside to the city
- Preferring a certain sports team over another
- Preferring a certain book or TV series
Some assumptions include:
- If someone is late, it is because they didn't plan well enough
- If someone is rude, it is because something I said
- If I don't have a full-time job, I am not working hard
- If I don't have a lot of money, I am not successful
- We could all be friends if we tried
- We could solve the world's problems is X happened
VBAs define us and are connected to/influenced by our skills, knowledge, personality, habits, and interests. In some cases, they make us stronger, but in others, they can hold us back. Being aware of our VBAs and being open to challenging them/pushing their boundaries when needed is a significant task, but a powerful step in achieving self-awareness.
What are some of your Values, Biases and Assumptions?