reachAbility client Rob MacIssac recently worked with his fellow Gateway participants to create a short, animated film capturing his journey here at reachAbility, and particularly with the Gateway program and Camp reachAbility.
The Gateway program cooperates with mainstream employers throughout the HRM to provide youth living with disabilities the opportunity to gain employment experience in their field of interest. This provides the participants the opportunity to tap into their potential as employees and members as of their community.
Participants receive 4 weeks of training and workshops resulting in a greater sense of self-awareness, self-esteem and confidence. Participants are then placed on an 18-week paid work placement to get hands-on employment in their community.
Just a few of the objectives of the Gateway program are to:
- Address and respond to real barriers faced by youth with disabilities.
- Provide participants with workshops that enhance transferable skills.
- Prepare participants for future work or education decisions.
- Ensure the community as a whole operates as a healthy, integrated entity
- Ensure participation of citizens with disabilities in the community.
- Continue a history of excellence in supporting high risk youth in fulfilling their employment dreams.
- Create a work plan
- Learn teamwork skills
For more information on Gateway, please contact Matt, the program Facilitator, at Matt@reachability.org.