Founding Director and CEO of reachAbility Association in Halifax, Nova Scotia is one of the 32 Smartest People selected to compete for this year’s Canada’s Smartest Person title and will be on the premiere for this show airing September 28th on CBC TV at 9 p.m. Tova provides a unique hybrid of executive leadership combined with critically important first person experience in disabilities. Tova understands first hand living with the realities of brain health challenges as she balances ADHD which manifests in anxiety and depression, into her passion for reachAbility and leveling the playing field for all persons with disabilities. Here are some cool facts about Tova:
1. Tova in 2012, she received the esteemed Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal of Service.
2. Tova Sherman is the brilliant, creative spark that has ignited an entire movement of positive change in the provision of services to and about persons living with disabilities in Canada.
3. Tova has grown reachAbility from an idea into one of the largest comprehensive charitable organizations in the Maritimes.
4. Tova is an award winning nationally recognized inclusion and disabilities expert and trainer Tova frequently speaks and facilitates at conferences and venues across Canada.
5. Tova is featured on numerous media sources including the world-class TED lecture circuit and her own television series, Inclusion Revolution.
6. Tova provides a unique hybrid of executive leadership combined with critically important first person experience in disabilities.
7. Tova understands first hand living with the realities of brain health challenges as she balances ADHD which manifests in anxiety and depression.
8. Tova transforms her brain health challenges into passion for reachAbility and leveling the playing field for all persons with disabilities.
9. Tova uses her ADHD to facilitate sessions with total engagement, high energy and explosive humour.
10. Tova also received the Facility of Excellence Award from Recreation Nova Scotia in 2011.
11. Tova developed and implemented cutting edge programs in support of equalizing the employment playing field across our community.
12. Tova is one of Canada’s premier disability and inclusion experts.
13. Since 2000, she has steered the dynamic, multi-service disability agency, reachAbility, into a premier trail-blazing model of excellence by leading the way in educational and employment focused community service and non-profit organizations.
14. Tova has brought disability training to mainstream Canada by customized no-nonsense, down to earth disability training modules.
15. Tova’s expertise is recognized across Canada.
16. In 2012, Tova received the esteemed Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for service to this country.
17. Tova juggles her TV show, Inclusion Revolution with commitments to reachAbility and prestigious speaking engagements across North America.
18. Tova’s goal: to make a difference every single day.
19. Tova believes we enrich and empower individuals and the community through a fair, equitable and inclusive culture.
20. Tova believes to equalize the playing field, one ability at a time.
21. Tova believes opportunities must exist for all to participate.
22. Tova believes diversity is essential to our success.
23. Tova believes commitment to challenging negative attitudes and perceptions about persons with disabilities.
24. Tova believes appreciation for every ability.
25. Tova believes belief in the inherent worth of every individual.
26. Tova designed 8 programs reachAbility offers which help clients with employability skills, education initiatives and free legal support.
27. Tova has ensured all eight reachAbility programs, including the camps are offered to our clients free of charge.
28. Like Tova, Robin Williams had ADHD which manifests in anxiety and depression.
29. Like Tova, Musician Kurt Cobain was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age and then later, with bipolar disorder
Mental health is not someone else’s issue – it is yours, mine and, as Canadians, ours.